Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Coconut Chicken

Although I like coconut oil and milk and such, I really don't care for actual coconut shavings, it's a texture thing.  However, I had no problem with the taste or texture of this dish, it was great.  The only thing missing was the sweet/spicy sauce that comes with it when you order something like this ina restaurant but I was coming up blank as to how to fake that at the last minute.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  I caught my husband dipping his in the Catalina salad dressing.

I served this with a side salad and a yummy serving of Creamy Mashed Parsnips.  The parnips went great with this dish.  As you can see, I used chicken thighs which I think made a real difference in this dish, sometimes chicken breast can turn out dry.


Coconut Chicken
makes 6 servings

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 eggs
coconut oil

Trim the extra fat from the chicken.  Cut into six even pieces as best you can.

Get two shallow bowls or containers.  Beat the eggs together in one bowl, in the other bowl mix the flour, coconut and salt.  Then get out two forks to use for dipping and dredging.

Using a fork, plop a piece of chicken into the egg and coat.  Remove the chicken and plop it into the flour mixture.  Using the other fork, toss the chicken in the coating, flipping it over and pressing the crumbs into the meat.  Remove the meat to a plate and continue until all the pieces are coated.

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Drizzle just ONE tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan and cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side.  If the pan gets too dry, drizzle a bit more coconut oil.  Don't crowd the pan, if you need to, do two different batches.  (Wipe the pan clean before cooking the second batch).

Remove cooked chicken to a clean plate and let it rest for a few minutes.  Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. I have a recipe similar to this for coconut shrimp, and I just mix some horseradish with orange marmalade (to taste) for a great sweet/ spicy/ tangy dipping sauce! I've tried it with other fruit preserves/ marmalades as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant! I will have to try that, thanks!

      Delete