Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Unstuffed Cabbage

I was surprised that I liked this dish as much as I did; and the family liked it too.  So if you look at this recipe and go ‘eeeuuw’ at least give it a try.  You get all the great taste and texture of stuffed cabbage without all the hassle; it was cheap and it took about 15 minutes to make with only one pan to wash.  I served it with a side of whole grain garlic bread.

Unstuffed Cabbage
Makes 5 servings
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 head of cabbage, roughly chopped

8 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt


Start the meat cooking in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.  While it is browning, chop the onion and crush the garlic, stir them into the turkey.  Cover the pan and let it continue cooking.
Meanwhile, chop the cabbage coarsely.  Stir the cabbage into the turkey mixture a bit at a time – making sure to keep turning and stirring to keep it cooking evenly.  Re-cover the pan.

Continue to stir the turkey mixture to keep it cooking evenly, covering in between stirrings.  When the cabbage is starting to wilt (about 10 minutes), stir in the tomato sauce, lemon juice, and seasonings.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.

I’d say that one serving is about 2-3 veggie servings and 1/2 a protein serving.

Print this recipe:  Unstuffed Cabbage

13 comments:

  1. I love this dish, it's one of my favorite to do in the crock pot. After you brown your turkey, place all the other ingredients in your crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours, it's totally yummy. Traditionally we eat mashed potatoes with our stuffed cabbage, so we eat this over mashed cauliflower if we are really craving comfort food.

    Thanks Joley for sharing your P10 experience with us. It keeps me motivated to stay in touch with your blog and others doing P10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea and I also love the mashies with it. Thanks for sharing that - too bad I just made this last night but I can try this next time!
      Glad you are enjoying the blog - sometimes I feel like I can't post fast enough to share all this great info.

      Delete
    2. I assume that when you say "After you brown your turkey, place all the other ingredients in your crockpot." you mean place the browned meat AND all the other ingredients in the crock pot?

      Delete
  2. If you dont like the look of it, then do what I do and make it into a lassagne type meal!! .. only its lasagne style non-stuffed cabbage non-rolls, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this tonight in the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this tonight, but the nutmeg was way to over powering. Going to try it again sometime without nutmeg and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I also halved the amount of nutmeg/cinnamon. I used 1/2 c sauce, added parmesan cheese, parsley, 1 carrot and used gimme lean instead of turkey. I served it over a bed of rice. The flavor is almost middle eastern. Next time I might try to swap out the nutmeg/cinnamon for a tiny bit of cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVED this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing it! I didn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely going to make this. I would add some Worcestershire sauce, catsup and brown rice (and omit the lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmet. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how much rice would you add to this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably add brown rice or cooked quinoa to it, I'd start with about 1 cup of cooked and stir it in and see how it goes. Stages 2 and 3 only please. Stage 1 doesn't allow quinoa or any rice.

      Delete
  9. I made this a couple nights ago for dinner. We enjoyed it, except I'd prefer to spice it a bit different and omit the nutmeg and cinnamon. Perhaps try using some curry to spice it or something a bit more salty, instead of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cheated on this one and used drained sausage instead of turkey... I'm a Brit so i cook everything with curry but no, wouldn't use it in this. It's simply delicious with the cinnamon & nutmeg

    ReplyDelete