Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Protein Pancakes


Someone shared this recipe over on the Wheat Belly Facebook page.  They said "They are thick and crispy and taste like heaven!"  She was right.  This batch made about 3 pancakes the size of my hand and I enjoyed them with lots of melted butter and half a banana on top.  I put together the dry ingredients the night before to save time so all I had to do was stir and cook.  Not only that but I was really surprised at how much energy I had that morning and that I forgot to eat lunch too.  They were really filling!


Protein Pancakes
feeds one hungry person or two not-so-hungry

3 tablespoons vanilla whey protein
   (if you have regular flavor, use that and also add 1 teaspoon vanilla)
 
2 tablespoons almond flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon truvia (optional)

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon melted butter

1-2 teaspoons water or milk

coconut oil for frying


In a bowl mix up all ingredients except the coconut oil.

Spoon batter into a frying pan loaded with hot coconut oil (the type with coconut flavor). Cook till brown, flip then cook again till other side is brown. Don't overcook!

Top with banana, blueberries or strawberries or raspberries or a dollop of full-fat Greek yogurt, try some whipped cream, drizzle agave or melted butter or smear a little nut butter. 

If you ate the entire batch, I'd guesstimate it was 1 serving of protein and 1/2 serving of fat.....

Print the recipe:  Protein Pancakes

4 comments:

  1. Would this work if you cooked them in butter? I can't stand coconut, so coconut oil is out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not? Should be fine and mucho deliciouso too.
      Quick question Tracey - have you tried the oil? I HATE coconut but I don't mind the oil one bit. If the oil is REFINED it doesn't have coconut taste, if it's organic extra virgin then it does. Something I just learned myself!

      Delete
  2. Great to know. I'll keep an eye out for the refined version. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've started using Rice Oil in place of all other oils. It has a much higher burn temperature and has been proven to be more healthy for you than other oils, plus not much of a taste if any.

    ReplyDelete