Thursday, April 26, 2012

Whey Protein Semi-Fasting – the deets

There are still many questions after reading the original Whey Protein Fasting post so I thought I’d put a little more detail behind it, after all, I can read my own mind, why can’t you? 

Richard loves you and thinks you're worth it!
Hey!  Gotta love Richard!
FIRST of all – the CYA – I’m not a doctor, a nutritionist or even very cute.  I’m just sharing what I did.  We are all grown and capable of deciding for ourselves what works and what doesn’t. 

Okay, now let’s get down to the details.  I’m going to go over my first fast and then my second fast and then give you a boring breakdown of the anatomy of a smoothie.  Then you can have some ideas to work with.  AND I can do this because I keep a food journal (nudge nudge wink wink).  Don't wig over the extreme detail.

My first whey protein semi-fast was the inspiration to start this blog, because I wanted us to be able to share in our journeys.


First Whey Protein Semi-Fast – February 7-9

Day 1 –
wrote down starting weight

6:15 am –12 oz water and 1/2 cup RMPP; along with a side of greens and nori and lemon

12:15 pm – 20 minute walk

1:30 pm – 12 oz water, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 truvia packet; along with a bowl of greens, olive oil and lemon

6:15 pm – 12 oz coconut water, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 truvia packet; along with a plate of roasted asparagus

(see, I’m getting smart and adding some flavor – it really helps.  But the greens for breakfast were gross)  I slept 7.5 hours this night, and slept really well

Day 2 –
Down 1.6 lbs since yesterday

6:15 am – 20 minute walk

6:45 am – 12 oz coconut water, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp agave, 1/2 cup coffee and 2 tsp fiber powder; (didn’t have greens)

12:15 pm – 12 oz coconut water, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1/2 cup decaf coffee, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets; along with a large bowl of greens with olive oil and lemon.

7:15 pm (yep, you’re reading that right) – 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz almond milk, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp agave, and 2 tsp fiber powder; along with salad greens and roasted asparagus

8:30 pm – 20 minutes of Wii Fit yoga

Again, I slept 7.5 hours this night, and slept really well.  Skipped exercise the next morning ‘cause I was too warm and comfy to get up.

Day 3 –
Down 0.8 lbs from yesterday; down 2.4 lbs total for the fast

6:45 am – 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz coffee, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp agave, 1 tbsp fiber powder

12:45 pm – 12 oz coconut water, 4 oz decaf, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 1 tbsp fiber powder; along with a bowl of greens with olive oil and lemon

6:15 pm – 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz almond milk, 1/2 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, and 2 tsp fiber powder

Yep, we're going old school today with
the pics - remember this one?
Day 4 – broke my fast by eating a big breakfast, a hearty lunch and a ‘oh dear Lord what was I thinking’ dinner.  DON’T DO THAT.  I might as well have shot myself in the foot.  Celebrate your weight loss and eat lightly and wait to be hungry.

Notes – The info I posted before said not to exercise because you might feel weak but to be honest, I had a lot of energy and I should have taken advantage of it by listening to my body and exercising.  I also spent a lot of time in the bathroom but I think it was very beneficial.  The greens were the turning point to helping detoxify.  I think our bodies like the protein and use that fuel to keep going and use the greens to help move the mail.


Second Whey Protein Semi-Fast – April 24-26

I did this one a little differently, you’ll see more interesting items in the smoothies now….

Day 1 –
wrote down starting weight

5:15 pm – 45 minute walk

6:15 am –8 oz almond milk, 1/4 cup half & half, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil; no greens

12:30 pm – 8 oz almond milk, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil; no greens

6:30 pm – 8 oz almond milk, 4 oz coconut milk, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil – added 1/2 an avocado and about 1 1/2 cups of spinach leaves to the smoothie!

I had great energy all day.  Got to bed late but slept really well.


Day 2 –
Down 1.4 lbs since yesterday

6:00 am –8 oz almond milk, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil; no greens

Okay, so this turns out to be Administrative Professionals Day and they want to treat me to lunch – so I decide that would be fine…

12:30 pm – sashimi salad – a large bowl of greens and avocado with slices of raw fish, no dressing – so I was having the greens and protein, just not in liquid form…now check out the rest of the day….

Worked with continuous focus and energy until 8:30 pm.  Was not hungry at all and didn’t eat dinner, tummy growled a little at bedtime but nothing major.

Again, I had great energy all day.  Got to bed late but slept really well.


Day 3 –
Down 2 lbs from yesterday; down 3.4 lbs total for the fast and FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY past the darn plateau I’ve been on for a month…why didn’t I do this sooner?

6:30 am –8 oz almond milk, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil; along with 1/2 of an avocado

10:30 am – a large spoonful of coconut oil

12:30 pm - 8 oz almond milk, 2 tbsp half & half, 1/4 cup RMPP, 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 truvia packets, 2 tsp fiber powder, 2 tbsp chia gel and 2 tbsp coconut oil

6:30 pm - I'm actually writing this around 2:30 in the afternoon so I haven't had dinner yet but since I want to use my Target gift card to go buy new clothes tonight I'll have the same thing I had for breakfast.

Day 4 - hold me accountable, I'm gonna go slow and easy, eat lightly and not gorge....

Day 5 - our 5th wedding anniversary, we're going on a picnic (which I'll pack light and healthy) and then to a steak dinner that night....


Breakdown of a Whey Protein Fast smoothie -

As you can see, there's a pattern:  liquid, protein, fats, flavorings, and boosters.  If you don't use enough protein and fats you'll miss them.  If these are the only things you're gonna have for 3 days you need to make sure they're balanced.

Remember to always put the liquids in first and then add the other items!

Liquid - at least a total of 12 oz of any combination of water, coconut water, almond milk, maybe a little coffee, coconut milk, whatever you have available.  If you know coconut water is good for you but really can't stand the taste now is the time to add it in, so you can get the benefits without being able to taste it.  :o

Protein - 1/4 to 1/2 cup of whey protein powder; you could add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or one or two raw eggs if that's the way you roll.

Fats - this is important, this is what will make you feel full and give you fuel.  Any of the following are good - 2 tbsp almond butter; 2 tbsp half and half or heavy whipping cream; 1/2 an avocado, or 2 tbsp coconut oil
*TIP* zap the coconut oil in the micro, then pour into the smoothie while it's blending

Flavorings - this makes the smoothie go down a little easier, but this is where you can hurt your progress.  If you put all kinds of fruits and sweeteners and goodies in it, it will taste great but not do much to help your fasting.  So go easy on truvia, stevia, agave, fruits, etc.  Try to lean towards cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract.

Boosters - these items are not necessary but can help give you a little oomph for your day.  If I know I'm not going to get enough greens then I'll add 2 tsp of this fiber powder; as you can see, I'm also now adding 2 tbsp chia gel and that is very worth it as well.  I highly recommend you boost yourself EVERY DAY with some chia gel in your diet.

I've read about how some people put baby spinach or greens in their smoothies and they were right, you get an extra boost and you can't really taste it.  Make sure you add them in last after everything else is mixed and while the blender is still going.  And also add extra liquid while it's blending because it'll thicken up quickly.

So I hope you're not rolling your eyes and screaming 'enough already' but hopefully have a better grasp on how this works.  As for me, having done it twice, I think next time I'll bump up the protein powder back to 1/2 cup, keep adding the chia gel and then blend greens in for breakfast and eat them alongside for lunch and dinner because the greens really do help a lot. 

Take care and see if this will help you get over a hump and onto a fast track.  Let me know how you do.









2 comments: