Monday, February 20, 2012

Gobble gobble!

Yes, a corny title for this particular recipe but goodness gracious these were off the charts delicious and easy to make.  Even better, they make a great ‘sausage’ with breakfast the next day – and I have missed sausage with my runny eggs!  My family did not even realize these were ground turkey until I told them (I should stop telling them stuff like that, huh?)

I made them into little slider sized patties and served theirs on small rolls with lettuce and tomato and I put mine on salad greens with tomato and grated parmesan.  I made baked sweet potato fries on the side but I won’t show you that picture because they got a little burnt.  Accidentally, that is.  Really.

I would say you could enjoy these burgers on Stages 1, 2 and 3, even though they do contain some bread crumbs – but I don’t think it’s enough to freak out about.

Turkey Burgers
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground turkey, I used Jennie-O
2 slices of whole grain wheat bread, spelt or Ezekiel, the healthy stuff
2 eggs, beaten
Handful of fresh parsley or about 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
Pinch of salt
Extra-virgin olive oil for frying

In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and sauté until soft and golden.   Meanwhile, toast the bread until it’s good and crispy-crumbly.  (You don’t have to toast it but I found that made a difference in the taste.)
Meanwhile, put the turkey in a large bowl and crumble the toasted bread over it.  Add the cooled onions, two beaten eggs, parsley and salt.  Use your hands to mix the ingredients gently and completely – do not condense the mixture – use a very light touch.  When ingredients are well mixed, shape them into 5 or 6 regular sized patties and cook in olive oil over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.  Turn the burgers and cover the pan, reduce the heat just a notch and continue to cook another 5 minutes.   This will steam them and keep them moist until the juices run clear.

To cook 10-12 slider sized patties, put about half of them in the pan and cook them in the same way but only about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Depending on the size of the patties, count these as 1-2 servings of protein and ½ serving of fat. 

Print this recipe: Turkey Burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment