Thursday, July 26, 2012

Creamy Salsa Skillet Chicken

In the pan, waiting to be served to my man....
For some reason I am always blown away by myself whenever I accidentally kinda sorta create a dish and it's wonderful!  I'm one of those people that needs a recipe or else I can't function!  I don't know why though, because both my Damma (Gramma) and my niece have that 'throw it all together and it's a winner dinner' gene.  I think it all stems from a childhood trauma in which I forgot to drain the macaroni before I added the glow in the dark orange powder to it and made mac & cheese soup instead....(stop laughing).

Anywho - I was following a recipe when suddenly I was seized by the spirit of adventure and this is what I ended up with.  The family loved it.  And of course, my dear friends, you can spice it up and down as much as you'd like to please your palates.

I was planning on serving this with a Mexican style Cauliflower Rice but ended up serving it over quinoa (Stages 2/3 only please).  After I cooked the quinoa I mixed it with butter and minced garlic and it was a nice accompaniment to this dish.


Creamy Salsa Skillet Chicken
makes 4 servings

2 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (can sub sour cream) 
4 ounces (1/2 cup) of shredded cheese, Mexican blend
dried oregano

 
Pound each chicken breast until they are evenly thinned out and then cut each breast in half.  Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side.

On the plate, waiting to get ate...
Remove the chicken from the pan, (add more oil if needed) and saute the onions until soft.  Turn down the heat, then stir in the salsa and the yogurt and warm through, then add the chicken back in and make sure the chicken gets all that nice creamy salsa sauce all over it.


Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and cover until cheese is melted.

Top with a dash of oregano for flavor and a touch of color.


1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight and it was fantastic! My husband and 8 year old enjoyed it too! I sprinkled some chili powder on the chicken before cooking them, but otherwise, followed to a "T"! A keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete