Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lemon and Garlic Spinach

Confession time - My name is Joley and I am a spinach-aholic.  Especially creamed spinach and spring green saag.  My coworkers know all they have to say is 'saag' (pronounced 'sog') and we're out the door to Indian food.    I've even been caught mixing the creamed spinach into my eggs the next morning....

My spinach either has to be cooked or completely blended into a smoothie - eating the raw leaves just doesn't do it for me.  Is anyone else like that?  It's not the taste, it's a texture thing.

So here's a quick and easy way to heat it up and enjoy a quick side dish.


Lemon and Garlic Spinach
makes 4 servings

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
1 lb fresh spinach, torn or shredded
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Add the garlic and spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is softened.  Take care not to let the spinach burn.

Remove from heat, turn into a serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice (don't overdo it, you may not want it all) and season with salt and pepper.  Mix well and serve hot or at room temperature.

This is what it looks like vertically, in case you're curious....

No comments:

Post a Comment