Monday, May 21, 2012

Sausage and Brussels Sprouts

Lately I've been trying to find really good nitrate free yummy sausage.  I've found some here and there, or at least as close as you can get.  Aidell's has some great chicken sausages; I've also seen some nitrate free hot dogs at Trader Joe's. 

This recipe is a quick and easy one pot recipe; I've made it a few times and made it slightly different each time.  You could either put the Brussels sprouts through the food processor or chop them up - I think chopping them is better, when I put them through the food processor I ended up with ground sprouts, it still tasted good but it was a little weird texture-wise.

Print this recipe:  Sausage and Brussels Sprouts

Sausage and Brussels Sprouts
makes 4 servings

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 lb nitrate free sausage, sliced
1 lb Brussels sprouts
cheddar cheese (optional)

To prep the sprouts, cut off the cores (the butt end) and then cut them each in half.  You can either run them through the food processor or chop them up.

Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over med-high heat and start cooking the sausage.  Add the sprouts and onion to the pan and continue to cook everything, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.  The sprouts will be wilted and the sausage should be warmed through.

Top with cheese, if desired, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment