Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chicken Tandoori



This recipe is an easy version of tandoori.  In traditional tandoori, the meat is marinated in yogurt and carefully selected spices and baked in a special oven.  But really, how many of us have a tandoori oven?  Okay, I think at least one of my readers has one so I hope she won't roll her eyes at this delicious knockoff of an old WW recipe.  Plus, with only FIVE ingredients you can feel like you made a gourmet meal with hardly any effort.

I used Greek yogurt to give this dish more tang and I used regular curry but those of you who like it hotter should try Madras curry, which is made with more cayenne pepper.  Also, I should have taken my own advice and pounded the chicken flat before I cooked it, so don't be like me.

We enjoyed this dish with a side of Spring-Green Saag.

Print this recipe:  Chicken Tandoori

Chicken Tandoori
makes 4 servings

1 cup plain or greek yogurt

1 tablespoon curry powder

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded flat)

1 large onion, cut into wedges

juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)


Mix the yogurt and curry in a container or large ziplock bag, add the chicken and coat well.  Marinate the chicken at least one hour but all day would be fine.  Remove the container from the fridge about 20 minutes before cooking to let the meat warm up.

Move the top oven rack to the second space from the top (about 5 inches from the broiler) and preheat the broiler to high heat.

Line a baking sheet with foil (you'll be glad later) and scrape the excess marinade from the chicken.  Broil the chicken for about 8 minutes (keep an eye on it).

Turn the chicken and add the onion wedges to the pan and return to broil for another 8 minutes.  Turn the onions if they start to burn. 

To serve, squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and onions, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice, serve with the onions.







1 comment:

  1. Thanks Joley ~ I printed this one and the spring green saag and hope to try this weekend. I may use Kale from our garden instead of spinach which means I'll have to cook it a bit, but I think it should be good!

    ReplyDelete