Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Turkey Burger Sliders, Grain Free

In my previous post "Gobble Gobble" I had said that "you could enjoy these burgers on Stages 1, 2 and 3, even though they do contain some bread crumbs – but I don’t think it’s enough to freak out about."

But what if you did want to freak out about it?  What if you wanted to have them without any bread crumbs?  I sat awake at night wondering how and if I'd failed you all with my cavalier assumption.  And so I decided to make them again without the bread crumbs to see how they'd turn out...they were gooooooood! 

I had tried using flax seed but that made them very crunchy and tough.  So I decided to try almond meal/flour and that worked well.  If you use coconut flour they'd be too sweet.

I typically serve these on greens and they are very good with hummus on top.  You could also make some grain free burger buns to put them on.

I saved the leftovers to have as sausage patties the next day for breakfast.  Just serve with a runny egg or mix into scrambled eggs.  You could even make a Flaxseed Wrap and have a great breakfast burrito.  If you decide to make a batch for breakfast especially, add some sage to it to get that sausage taste.

TIP - before I started mixing them, I coated my hands with coconut oil and that helped season the burgers and get my hands cleaned afterwards.....

Print this recipe:  Turkey Burger Sliders, Grain Free



Turkey Burgers
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground turkey, I used Jennie-O
1/3 cup almond meal
2 eggs, beaten
Handful of fresh parsley or about 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
Pinch of salt or seasonings to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil for frying

In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and sauté until soft and golden.   

Put the turkey in a large bowl and add the almond meal, cooled onions, two beaten eggs, parsley and salt.  Coat your hands with coconut oil and mix the ingredients gently and completely – do not condense the mixture – use a very light touch.   If the mixture is really sticky, add a little more almond meal.

When ingredients are well mixed, shape them into 5 or 6 regular sized patties and cook in olive oil over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.  Turn the burgers and cover the pan, reduce the heat just a notch and continue to cook another 5 minutes.   This will steam them and keep them moist until the juices run clear.

To cook 10-12 slider sized patties, put about half of them in the pan and cook them in the same way but only about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Depending on the size of the patties, count these as 1-2 servings of protein and ½ serving of fat. 

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete