Friday, June 29, 2012

Zucchini Noodles

When I realized that I could use my ever so scary but handy mandolin slicer set to julienne mode to make noodles out of zucchini, I knew I had to try it....and it worked!

Yes, I say scary because if you're not careful it will take six months for your fingertip to heal and another six months you don't feel pain in that finger - so I threw away my old evil bloodthirsty slicer and bought a safer one, and  yes I went out and bought a mesh cutting glove too - it's lined with stainless steel to protect your hand from being cut.  Not very expensive, unlike an emergency room visit....

Wow - was that TMI?  It's only because I care and because you can really hurt yourself if you're not careful.  So let's carefully back away from the crazy woman and get back to the recipe....

This dish was just like having spaghetti and meat sauce, texture wise and we really enjoyed it.  And I made a Red Lobster knockoff biscuit and salad to go with it.   I had been craving lasagna so I added in some ricotta cheese but really, this would have been just fine without it.  You do what you like.

And don't just stop there, folks - what else would you want to use these zucchini noodles in?  Let me know!


Zucchini Noodles
makes six servings

2 large zucchini
1/2 large onion, chopped
1-2 tbsp butter or olive oil
1/2 lb ground organic beef or turkey
16 oz (2 cups) marinara sauce
1/4 cup ricotta cheese (optional)
parmesan cheese, grated

To prepare the zucchini, wash and peel (if you want to, I didn't).  Cut zucchini in half and hold it longways and use the julienne setting on the slicer to cut into 'noodles'.  If you don't have access to a slicer, then cut the zucchini into long thin sticks like fries.

Add butter/oil to skillet and saute onions and zucchini until soft, remove.  Then add the meat and cook until done and add the sauce, then add back in the vegetables.  If you want to add the ricotta cheese, toss it in.  Mix until warmed through.

Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment