Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Almond Butter Chicken

I'll never forget the first time I saw 'peanut butter chicken'...I was at a baby shower and the California hostess served chicken skewers with peanut sauce and I thought she'd lost her mind (I was raised in Iowa, pigs and peanut butter don't mix...)

But I tried one and since then, I've always loved the taste that tastes great together.  And as you may know, my new love is Indian food.  I found a peanut butter chicken recipe and I have converted it to P10 use and added a few tweaks of my own.  Of course, you can always feel free to spice it up or down.  If you use almond milk instead of water, you will need to add more spices to feel the heat.  I also used chicken thighs instead of breasts to get that richer dark meat taste.  Sweeten to taste as almond butter doesn't have all the added sugar that peanut butter has.


Almond Butter Chicken
makes 4-6 servings

1 lb boneless or whole chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup almond butter
4 oz can of green chilies, drained
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sweetener equivalent
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
3/4 cup water or almond milk
chili powder or cayenne pepper, something spicy to kick it up

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and fry chicken pieces until golden brown.

Add the tomatoes, chilies, onions, salt and sweetender. Stir-fry until the onions become soft.

Add almond butter and mix well. Add water/milk gradually until it forms a sauce. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

I served this with a side of Turmeric Cabbage and Mushrooms - stay tuned for that recipe tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. it's far profitable analyzing this blog. i was looking such kind of blog for a long time however now I assume I had been given a weblog of my interest. i'm thankful for those all hints noted beneath this weblog. Noodle restaurant

    ReplyDelete