Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sausage Skillet Supper

Hands down, this is my family’s favorite meal ever.  If my nieces find out I’m making it they will beg for a ride over to our house to eat dinner with us.  Of course, I’m talking about the ‘before P10’ version made with extra taters, processed cheese and kielbasa. 

The other day I got to missing this easy to make and delicious dish so I sat down and converted it as best I could to P10 and it was still very good.  If you've got to make this stretch and the rest of the family isn't doing P10 then throw in an extra potato if needed.

One of the things I miss most is sausage – and those things can be loaded with really not good for you nitrates and crap.  So I’ll now do a little plug for Open Nature, available at Safeway/Vons stores.  Open Nature sausages are nitrate free and their ingredient list isn’t scary at all and thanks to them, I’ve been able to indulge in sausages once in a while. 


Sausage Skillet Supper
makes 4-6 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon pepper
3 cups (about 10 oz) broccoli florets
12 oz Open Nature sausage
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded/grated

Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat, add potatoes, onions, green pepper, oregano and black pepper.  Cover and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the potatoes are cooking I like to cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and slice up the sausages.

Stir in the broccoli and sausage, I like to flip the mixture to move the potatoes on top and the broccoli and sausage underneath.  Turn down the heat to medium, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.  Top with cheese, turn off heat and cover until cheese melts.

Scoop into bowls and let it cool for a few minutes because it will be super hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment