Monday, March 5, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal

I made this recipe I found on the Whole Foods website with my P10 friend Trena in mind.
I’m testing ‘grab and go’ or make-ahead items for those who want a good breakfast but don’t always have time to make them.   This recipe is a simple 'stop, drop and scoop' and then out the door. 

This was pretty good but Bubba (my hubby) and I thought the lemon zest was a little heavy, so I’ve scaled that back for you.  And feel free to use whatever fruit you would like, peaches, apples, bananas, berries, etc.  The original recipe says ‘serves 4’ – which in real life terms is 6 normal people or 2 teenage boys.  This fills you up fast!

I didn’t have rolled oats; I used steel cut oats and it was a little chewy and nutty tasting but we liked that better than soft mushy oatmeal.  I think you would too.

Overnight Oatmeal
serves 6

This affordable, healthy breakfast provides protein, whole grains and fruit to help you start your morning right.  The twist is that it virtually prepares itself while you’re sleeping — simply serve in the morning, straight from the fridge or warmed if you prefer.

2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking)

2 cups unsweetened almond milk

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Toppings:

chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds

Your choice of fruit, peeled and chopped

agave nectar


Combine oats, milk, vanilla and zest in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, scoop oatmeal into bowls and top with nuts and fruit.  Add butter or a drizzle of agave nectar if you’d like.  You can eat this hot or cold.

1/2 cup of this oatmeal is 1 serving of grains and 1/2 serving of fat.  Remember to count whatever toppings you use as well.


1 comment:

  1. We haven't had the chance to try this recipe out just yet, but as an alternative you can cook 3 parts water to 1 part steel cut oats. Buy your steel cut oats in the bulk department at your local grocery store to save money.

    Bring water to a boil, add a dash of salt, stir in steel cut oats, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and when it's done remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool.

    I often will add a fried egg on top allowing the yoke to seep down into the oats. You could put fruit on top if you wanted or sweetener, although, we've learned just to enjoy the nutty taste of the steel cut oats.

    Leftovers will last in the refrigerator for several days.

    I often use this recipe on the days I go cycling and it gives me enough energy for the majority of the ride, which often last between 1 1/2-3 hours.

    ReplyDelete